Mt.Tanigawa-dake(谷川岳) is a 1977-meter-high mountain on the border between Gunma and Niigata prefectures.
This mountain is listed as on100 famous mountains in Japan
The most common route to Mt. Tanigawa is to use a ropeway to get up to the middle of the mountain and start climbing from there.
To get to the Loopway Station, you can take a bus from Jōmō-Kōgen Station(上毛高原駅) on the Shinkansen, or from Minakami Station(水上駅) on the local train.
The opening hours of the Tanigawadake Ropeway are as follows:
April to November
Weekdays: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays: 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
December to March
All day: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
It is about a 20-minute walk from Doai Station(土合駅) near the ropeway, but there is a very long staircase between the platform and the ticket gate.
last updated : 2023/04/23
How to get to the trailhead
- [Outward] Jōmō-Kōgen Sta. to Tanigawadake Ropeway Sta.
- [Outward] Minakami Sta. to Tanigawadake Ropeway Sta.
- [Outward] Doai Sta. to Tanigawadake Ropeway Sta.
- [Return] Tanigawadake Ropeway Sta. to Jōmō-Kōgen Sta.
- [Return] Tanigawadake Ropeway Sta. to Minakami Sta.
- [Return] Tanigawadake Ropeway Sta. to Doai Sta.
English Map of Mt.Tanigawa-dake
Click the map icon to view your current location.
*If you do not see the map, please click here.*
Reference Course Time (4 hours 45 minutes)
1. [Outward] Jōmō-Kōgen Sta. to Tanigawadake Ropeway Sta.
Take a bus bound for "Minakami Station and Tanigawadake Ropeway Line" from Jōmō-Kōgen Station((上毛高原駅) Bus Stop No. 1
Ride time: 45 minutes
Fare: 1250 yen
TimetableJōmō-Kōgen Sta. to Tanigawa-dake Ropeway
|DEP : Jōmō-Kōgen Sta.||ARR : Tanigawa-dake Ropeway Sta.|
2. [Outward] Minakami Sta. to Tanigawadake Ropeway Sta.
Get on a bus bound for Tanigawa-dake Ropeway at bus stop #3 in front of Minakami Station(水上駅).
Ride time: 20 minutes
Fare: 760 yen
TimetableMizukami Sta. to Tanigawadake Ropeway Sta.
|DEP : Mizukami Sta.||ARR : Tanigawa-dake Ropeway Sta.|
3. [Outward] Doai Sta. to Tanigawadake Ropeway Sta.
It is a 20-minute walk from Doai Station to The Tanigawadake Ropeway.
All the buses from Jōmō-Kōgen and Minakami stations stop at Doi station, but it's a long way from the platform to the ticket gate, so unless you have a special reason, we recommend you to take the bus from Minakami station.
Reference : As if it were an underground fortress, "Japan's best mole station" Joetsu Line, Doai Station
TimetableDoai Sta. to Tanigawadake Ropeway Sta.
|DEP : Doai Sta.||ARR : Tanigawadake Ropeway|
4. [Return] Tanigawadake Ropeway Sta. to Jōmō-Kōgen Sta.
Ride time: 50 minutes
Fare: 1250 yen
TimetableTanigawadake Ropeway Sta. to Jōmō-Kōgen Sta.
|DEP : Tanigawa Ropeway||ARR : Jōmō-Kōgen Sta.|
5. [Return] Tanigawadake Ropeway Sta. to Minakami Sta.
Ride time: 23 minutes
Fare: 760 yen
TimetableTanigawadake Ropeway Sta. to Minakami Sta.
|DEP : Tanigawadake Ropeway||ARR : Minakami Sta.|
6. [Return] Tanigawadake Ropeway Sta. to Doai Sta.
It is about a 20-minute walk from Ropeway Station.
3 minutes to get on the bus
TimetableTanigawadake Ropeway to Doai Sta.
|DEP : Tanigawa-dake Ropeway||ARR : Doai Sta.|